Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Shopping (aka online dating)

Okay there is no stigma, repeat, there is nothing worng with online dating. I'm not telling you, I'm telling myself.
I keep thinking... Why would good looking single guys who have their life together set up an online profile? Wait! Why would a single good looking gal who has her life together set up a profile? Fair enough.
Well, I did it and went browsing for single potentials like myself. And I started to realize why people do this online thing. I read many statements like, "I don't really go to bars and meet girls" or "There aren't many social events in my area", and "I have been fulfilling my career goals for the last couple years and now I would like to start dating" Okay, legitimate enough.

Of course I would love to walk into a coffee shop and bump into the love of my life. Maybe I'd have spilled my coffee and he would apologize and offer to buy me a new cup. We'd sit and chat for hours about common travel interests, folk music, and our love for the snow... Sigh*

I view this online dating thing as "shopping." I like to shop. Don't we all. I used to be an impulse shopper, yes, I saw it, I bought it, I took it home and tried to wash it, but the buttons fell off, or it shrank in the dryer. Needless to say, I don't wear it anymore.
I'm not an impulse shopper anymore. But I've become quite fond of window shopping lately. And I don't mind browsing, but I read labels more carefully now.

11 comments:

  1. I love your analogy! Online dating really is a lot like window shopping, and you may even get the chance to try a few on for size! The best part of it all is that you don't have to commit to buying if it doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I came over from Hanna's blog. I love the analogy too. But I really wanted to call it a hyperbole because I just wanted an excuse to say hyperbole. Maybe some other day.

    Cute blog and a great start already. I can't wait to learn more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. following from Hannah's blog! Have fun window shopping, and Mr. Right IS out there :)

    cute blog and love your writing! Have fun in the blogland!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! I'm so glad you started a blog! I'm your newest follower!
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with online dating - it's lots of fun to get meet people you wouldn't normally cross paths with. And hey, I met Jeremy through Yahoo! Personals, so you really can meet the love of your life online. :) I can't wait to see what you post next...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa, hopping over from Hannah's blog, I'm your new follower!

    As per online dating, there is nothing wrong with that, with our lifes so busy these days and our higher expectations it's getting difficult to find the right person, and just to let you know, my best friend got married last year to a person that she met online, and I met my partner through online dating as well, and we're about three years now, so there are good man out there, you just have to choose the right one for yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa! It's Hannah's MIL dropping in to check out your blog...... I LOVE it! You are a kick in the britches! So, I am unofficially a cupid. I've got one success, but still trying! :) I met a guy while checking out the Honda CRV.....yes, an auto salesman. But, wait! Don't run yet! He is the nicest guy from Texas. Cute accent, college educated, college baseball player, close to his family, loves his little Boston Terrier, not pushy, not weird. Oh my....I just wanted to bring him home and set him up with a nice girl! I've talked to him since and he is still all of the above so if you are in the mood for and incognito "check out" just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh....I left out the best part! He is cute and available!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Melissa, I'm now following, too. I love your pics under "photos"-what an amazing journey. I love getting back to nature, only I usually have my parents and 4 kids in tow, so it's not that "relaxing" and peaceful. I want a piece of your mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Melissa - Hannah said I should come over and say hello...so HEY! I've done the online dating thing before and it's for the birds. Actually, I met my husband on Myspace. The biggest thing I gained from online dating is confidence in myself. I figured out what I wanted and what I didn't want. Great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for all the kind words and welcoming me into the blogger world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How true is what you posted, looking for people to date, just really isn't that fun, now is it?

    Also, stopping over from Hannah's blog! Welcome, I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete